The other day I made this delicious bread from MyNewRoots (recipe here). Sarah calls it her Life Changing Loaf of Bread, I definitely agree. yum. so packed with seeds and goodness and so damn easy to make! When I took it to Uni with me, a friend commented that I make so much of what I eat, almost everything.
It's not a fear of what is in store-bought goods, I thought, it's just that I like to know that the things I eat are made with ingredients that can be home grown or bought at the grocery, that they are honest ingredients. I don't want to get caught up in the whirlwind of fast, easy food, losing the connection to where the ingredients came from. I like to feel into which foods my body responds well to and I like to know where as much of my food as I can, has come from. The more I make an effort to grow food, to buy from local markets and local stores, the more I get excited about cooking, growing and going out to source food. It is a cycle that feeds (pun intended) itself.
I have had two unusual experiences this week of slight discomfort that relate to the honesty of ingredients. I discovered that i'm allergic to shampoo (and i was using a natural shampoo!). My head developed a rash over a couple of weeks and was beginning to bleed and so I went to the doctor who told me to stop using my shampoo. Not to say that I'd be allergic to all shampoos but I'm taking the chance to try using no shampoo for a while.
The other thing is, when we went away we gave our chickens to someone to look after and when we brought them home, we also brought the feed they had been eating while we were gone. I knew when I collected the eggs that something was different. The eggs were badly formed and didn't taste as good, and the chickens themselves were lacklustre. I chose to ignore it for a while, assuming it was an adjustment thing, and I tried putting herbs in their cage and garlic in their water but nothing really changed. I was really starting to get worried so a few days ago, I went and looked at the new feed packet which I hadn't thought to do before (silly me!) and it stated quite clearly contains restricted meat. Oh god, I nearly cried. not only had we been (unknowingly, of course) supporting whatever this restricted meat was (probably horse) but we were feeding it to our chickens and to ourselves indirectly! I felt awful for the chickens. Thankfully they hadn't been eating it for all that long. But it was an interesting insight for me. (I went out immediately and bought them some nice, natural grain and organic seed). sigh out.
x
oh such a honest-to-goodness delicious looking loaf! its on my must-try making soon list. I agree entirely with you on the importance on knowing where our food comes from, simplifying, embracing the whole and being intentional about growing, cooking and foraging for nourishing food. Sorry to hear of your chickens, but really, how amazing that you could tell something was wrong even before your discoveries of the feed. By the by, have you heard of Joel Salatin & Polyface farms before? I really love what he's on about, especially with his chickens (they get to roam free and graze the fields cows have pastured in before them). I really hope we can get some chicks in the next year!
ReplyDeleteIt really was delicious. although i forgot salt. ;)
DeleteI have heard of Joel Salatin but haven't really checked him out yet, i'll do that, thanks for the tip!
yes, chickens are the best, it think xx