Saturday, May 25, 2013
Making almond milk
Yesterday I decided to make almond milk. I had been drinking soy milk previously but decided it was making me too blocked up and sinusy so I wanted to give almond milking a try. It was so easy and perfectly delicious. I simply put a rough handful of almonds into my blender with 2 ish cups of water and blended on high for 3 or 4 minutes. Then lined a large jar with a fine cloth and poured the milk + almond meal through the cloth and squeezed until all the milk was extracted from the meal. the fresh almond meal i then dehydrated in the oven on low for a while to use in smoothies and baking. The milk I made into a Latte and saved the rest in the fridge. Perfect for these chilly autumnal mornings and doesn't make me blocked up like milk and soy do. Since I've been playing around with what i eat, what feels good in my body and what I feel right about eating, I've been so much busier in the kitchen. Every day I come home from uni and experiment with whatever is in the fridge and it's really opening up a new world of food-making to me.
At the moment i am loving:
kale and silverbeet from my garden
salads with nuts, seeds and dried fruit on top
soups with nuts and seeds on top (actually anything with nuts and seeds on or in it!)
grated Kohl Rabi (seek it out if you don't already love it!)
cinnamon and honey in warm water
these crisp mornings and all the rugged-up, woollen people at the station
Offspring is on again (i know, i know)
seeing edible weeds everywhere after the rain
speaking of edible weeds, I did a weed walk a few weeks back and it was amazing. the leader, Adam Grubb of VEG (very edible gardens) walked with a group of us along Merri creek to demonstrate which weeds are safe to eat (and which are not!). There is so much good, nutritious food to be foraged in and out of the city area, wild kale, dandelions, plantain, nettle, wild lettuce! my favourite was wild kale or cabbage, a yellow flowering brassica which grows wild, tastes like kale, is more nutritious than the domesticated versions and is completely free! I have already started to try to include some 'weeds' into my diet as some of them are highly nutritious and can be 'shopped for' in your backyard! so nifty
does anyone else forage for weeds? i'd love to learn about mushrooming. we should have a weed feast.
x
Labels:
inspired,
love,
nature nurture,
nourishment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love Almond milk! It's so sweet & tasty, I use it as a break from regular cows milk and here you are making your own - very ace!
ReplyDeleteAnd weeds! I LOVE the use of weeds, in fact next year when dandelines are everywhere, I'm going to make dandeline jam!
Thanks for that. It sounds so easy! I have always been afraid to try it on my own.
ReplyDeleteYou blog is so compelling!